The Research Committee
serves as a resource for preparing materials to help SAEM’s members improve their research skills, and for finding funding opportunities to support their research and the presentation of such research through didactics, abstracts, articles, workshops, and other channels. The Research Committee’s objectives include:
- Implement the objective for web-based resource for "how to apply for and get a grant" begun in 2012.
- Work collaboratively with ACEP research committee to develop an educational plan (tool kit) in response to the survey they are conducting to understand the research training resources and environment across US residency programs.
- Develop a research fellowship subcommittee to evaluate new research fellowship applications (training sites) and to credential research fellows (individuals) and prepare a roster of programs, which meet criteria for the approval of the BOD. (This is the ongoing work from the research fellowship task force that is now being folded into research committee)
- Work collaboratively with the program committee to broaden the abstract scoring system to be more inclusive of research methods more consistent with T2/T3 research including qualitative research and health services research. Consider developing a manuscript describing other scoring systems that are used to judge abstracts as compared to the relatively advanced and objective one used by SAEM.
- Create and run the grant writing workshop at the annual meeting of the SAEM (work with Program Committee so that content is not duplicated during the rest of the Annual Meeting).
- Review the last 5 years’ worth of didactics held at the annual meeting pertinent to research and work collaboratively with the Program Committee to develop a curriculum of core research didactics to consider holding on a rotating basis.
- Submit three didactics for consideration by the Program Committee to fill gaps in the curriculum over the last 5 years as described above.
- Review the SAEM Strategic Plan for 2010-2015 and the committee’s objectives for 2010 through 2014 and recommend objectives for 2014-2015 to address identified deficiencies.
Chair: Zachary Franklin Meisel, MD, MPH, MSc
Board Liaison: James F. Holmes, Jr, MD, MPH