Academic emergency physicians in the Observation Medicine Interest Group have an opportunity to collaborate in the area of observation medicine, which is dedicated to continued care in the treatment or diagnostic evaluation of specific conditions seen in the emergency department to determine if inpatient admission is required.
The objectives of the Observation Medicine Interest Group are to:
- Create a network of individuals and institutions to develop and collaborate on publications and/or multicenter research relevant to observation medicine.
- Develop educational curricula and opportunities in the field of observation medicine for medical students, emergency medicine residents, faculty, and non-physician clinical providers.
- Continue to evaluate and refine published observation medicine resident curriculum.
- Create didactic programs for SAEM20 that reinforce the fundamentals and further the understanding of observation medicine.
- Support the development of tools and educational products that further the goals and understanding of observation medicine.
- Support academic emergency departments in the design and operation of new observation units.
Chair: Daniel Colby, MD
Board Liaison: Jody A. Vogel, MD, MSc, MSW
Staff Liaison: Monica Bell, CMP