The SAEM Ethics Committee is responsible for developing and formulating policies concerning ethical issues in the practice of emergency medicine, for the Society and for the practice of emergency medicine in general. The committee updates, revises and maintains the SAEM Ethics Curriculum, provides articles on ethics topics for publication in the SAEM Pulse, and develops didactics, guidelines, manuscripts and other materials regarding ethics in research and clinical practice. The Ethics Committee also reviews the annual conflicts of interest of SAEM leadership.
- Review and make recommendations to SAEM Board on ethical issues of the Society or members, as needed. A
- Review member conflict of interest disclosures and make recommendations to the SAEM Board on steps of resolution. A
- Review SAEM Campaign Guidelines for revisions and updates. Recommend to the SAEM Board guidelines for campaigning infractions. A
- Submit at least 4 ethics related articles to SAEM Pulse and for distribution to SAEM media outlets. B, E
- Advise the SAEM Board and SAEM Program Committee regarding key, emerging ethics-related issues that could be developed into future educational endeavors and product solutions for members.
- Develop and disseminate state-of-the-art ethics didactics to SAEM20.
- Draft white paper for the SAEM Board on need for hospital based pediatric-focused ethics committees as it relates to pediatric emergency medicine. C
- Establish and implement a leadership succession and mentorship plan for future leaders of the Committee. Special attention should be given to increasing the diversity of committee leadership. F
- Execute other objectives as identified by the SAEM Board.
Chair: Eric D. Isaacs, MD
Board Liaison: Megan L. Ranney, MD, MPH
Staff Liaisons: Kat Nagasawa, MBA
Doug Ray, MBA
A - Present to SAEM Board only
B - Present to SAEM Board for consideration of dissemination on website with social media blast
C - Submit to AEM or AEM E&T preferentially and then other journals at approval of SAEM Board
E - Present to SAEM Board for consideration of dissemination in Pulse
F - Written plan to SAEM President-Elect