SAEM recognizes that there are many valuable post-graduate training opportunities for emergency medicine residency graduates that are not Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-approved. In an effort to promote standardization and excellence in training for fellows in these programs, SAEM has used content experts to develop guidelines for fellowship training programs. These guidelines address milestones in curricular elements, faculty support recommendations and career development opportunities. The Fellowship Approval Committee reviews both institutional applications and fellow applications for SAEM approval. Categories include: research, education scholarship, geriatrics, international/global health, administration and wilderness medicine.
- Review and make recommendations to SAEM Board regarding applications for SAEM approval of non-ACGME-accredited emergency medicine fellowships. A
- Refine, as needed, the fellowship and fellow approval process and migrate process to new electronic system.
- Engage eligible non-ACGME-accredited emergency medicine fellowship programs to apply for SAEM approval.
- Recommend to SAEM Board (if needed) additional non-ACGME-accredited emergency medicine fellowships to which SAEM should consider providing approval. A
- With RAMS and Academies, design and implement strategies to increase interest, awareness and value of emergency medicine fellowship training opportunities amongst student and resident members. Consider didactic (or other product) on choosing a fellowship program and training opportunities. A
- Make suggestions to SAEM Board, as needed, for optimal membership composition for the sub-committees engaged in non-ACGME-accredited emergency medicine fellowship program approval. A
- Advise the SAEM Board and Program Committee regarding key, non-ACGME-accredited Emergency Medicine fellowship program-related issues that could be developed into future education endeavors and/or product solutions for members. A
- Update Fellowship Approval Committee documents and external communications with revised non-ACGME-accredited emergency medicine fellowship program renewal process.
- Create a process and procedure for addressing programs not responsive to requests for information.
- Review the data on SAEM’s fellowship program directory at least annually to ensure all programs are included (and programs that need to be removed are removed).
- Establish and implement a leadership succession and mentorship plan for future leaders of the Committee. Special attention should be given to increasing the diversity of committee leadership. F
- Execute other objectives as identified by the SAEM Board.
Chair: Niels Rathlev, MD
Board Liaison: Angela M. Mills, MD
Staff Liaisons: Snizhana Kurylyuk
Melissa McMillian, CNP
A - Present to SAEM Board only
F - Written plan to SAEM President-Elect