The Faculty Development Committee works to achieve objectives set forth by the president of SAEM for the development of tools and techniques to assist academic faculty physicians throughout the course of their careers. The committee’s objectives include becoming a central resource for faculty engaged in education research and scholarship and defining the educational benchmarks for educators at each level of their career.
- Evaluate the faculty development landscape and make recommendations to SAEM Board to address future big-picture challenges and opportunities.
- Review evaluation data and make recommendations, if needed, regarding curricular content and format of Leadership Forum to SAEM Program Committee.
- In collaboration with the ED Administration and Clinical Operations Committee (ED Administration and Clinical Operations Committee lead), submit to the SAEM Program Committee a didactic proposal on academic health system administration as an avenue for career development and advancement for presentation at the SAEM20.
- In collaboration with Education Committee and CDEM (Faculty Development Committee lead), develop annually education products (didactics, digital products etc.) on medical school leadership as an avenue for career development and advancement.
- In collaboration with the Education Committee (Education Committee lead), develop a recommendation for the SAEM Board to consider networking opportunities for emergency medicine educators, including but not limited to SAEM20.
- Review survey results on faculty development needs unique to Vice-Chairs and provide recommendations to SAEM Board.
- Advise the SAEM Board regarding key, emerging faculty development-related issues that that could be developed into future educational endeavors and product solutions for members.
- In collaboration with Consultation Committee (Faculty Development Committee lead), develop a plan for SAEM Board consideration on SAEM consultative services to departments regarding academic promotion of faculty.
- Review findings from 2018 focus groups and suggest future faculty development-related programming to the Program Committee and SAEM Board.
- Establish and implement a leadership succession and mentorship plan for future leaders of the Committee. Special attention should be given to increasing the diversity of committee leadership.
- Execute other objectives as identified by the SAEM Board.
Chair: Jeffrey Siegelman, MD
Board Liaison: Amy Kaji, MD, PhD
Staff Liaisons: Holly M. Byrd-Duncan, MBA