The mission of the Disaster Medicine Interest Group is to provide up-to-date, accurate, and useful information as well as guidance to all emergency medicine professionals regarding their role in disaster research and preparedness and response activities. Members are encouraged to present at the annual meeting on disaster topics of interest including educational topics, ongoing or completed research, published articles, or successful disaster planning protocols or strategies. It is open to SAEM members who are active in or interested in becoming involved in disaster preparedness and response or disaster research.
- In partnership with Assistant Secretary of Preparedness and Response/Technical Resources, Assistance Center, and Information Exchange (TRACIE) publish an annual review of disaster medicine literature.
- Develop guidelines on disaster medicine education for emergency medicine residents
- Encourage cross collaboration with the ACEP disaster medicine committee and other national organizations
- Grow the membership of the disaster medicine interest group
- Increase the volume of SAEM members engaged in disaster research and disaster preparedness and response
- Increase awareness of the disaster medicine interest group activities through the use of the newsletter, social median and didactics.
Board Liaison: Jeff Druck, MD
Staff Liaison: Stacey Roseen